Short Walk in Westleton
Distance: approx. 3 ½ miles
Time: 1 ½ hours depending on your pace
Terrain: mainly flat with stretches on minor roads
Stops: The Westleton Crown
Ordinance Survey Map: explorer 231
Start point OS reference: 440 689
An excellent walk that enjoys two very different aspects of beautiful Westleton village. Initially the walk heads out through agricultural land to the west and above the village before crossing over to woodland and heath resplendent with its autumn purple hue. For the most part it is a combination of easy paths intersecting for short stretches with quiet country lanes.
- With The Westleton Crown behind you cross the main street and follow the road to the left of the war memorial and village hall.
- At the junction by the White horse Public House turn left, follow the road for approx. 300 yds.
- As the road bends to the left take the bridleway on your right. The route continues straight ahead across a number of fields, and through a gap in the hedge, before emerging at a road by Redmere Farm.
- Turn right and walk for approx. 600 yds along a quiet stretch of road where you will come to a barn on your left and a footpath sign on your right.
- Turn right at the footpath keeping to the right of the field following the line of the telegraph poles. At the end of the first field the path crosses into a second field and heads for a gap in the trees ahead.
- At the gap keep left. After approx. 150 yds you will come to a T junction with an option to turn right, ignore this path and continue straight ahead after a further 250 yds you will meet the main road.
- Turn right walking along the road passing the ‘42’ sign and the footpath sign on your left. Approximately 25 yds after the footpath sign there is a gap on the left and the entrance to a path.
- Follow the path through the trees. After a short distance you will come to a ‘junction’ of paths marked by a ‘FP’ sign and waymark sign on a post. At this junction keep right.
- After 10 yards the path forks - keep to the left and follow the path straight ahead for approx. 5 minutes until you meet the road.
- At the road cross straight over and follow the road opposite for approx. 500yds until you meet a footpath on your right.
- At the footpath turn right down a tarmac and gravel track, pass buildings on your right and then follow grass track straight ahead.
- At a bench by the tree turn left (keeping to the left of the house) after approx. 50yds the path meets a road.
- Turn right and follow the road for approx. 300yds which brings you back to the main street in the village.
- Turn left and return to The Westleton Crown.
Pub walk by Places&Faces
Download the short walks maps