Distance: approx: 6.5 miles
Time: 2-3 hours depending on your pace
Terrain: mainly flat with short stretches on minor roads
Stops: The Westleton Crown (plus option to
detour to The Ship at Dunwich)
Ordinance Survey Map: explorer 231/212
Start point OS reference: 440 689
This circular walk starts in the village of Westleton, with its beautiful village green and duck pond and takes in heath, forest and open grassland.
- From the Crown turn right passing the post office and village green. Continue straight on for approx. 10 minutes.
- At the edge of the village and shortly before a green bus shelter is a footpath sign on the right.
- Follow this path over heath. Ignore the first FP sign and keep to the left. At the next fork take the path on the right that skirts the edge of trees.
- At a forestry track turn right and then immediately left. After 50m the path forks take the right hand path.
- At the end of this short stretch you meet another path turn right. (“Private land” sign ahead. Do not take that path)
- Enter Westleton Heath Nature Reserve (WHNR) marked by a sign and take the path to the left. After a short stretch the path forks by another WHNR sign - keep left (passing private property on right).
- After approx. 10 minutes walking the path forks. Keep left leading to Sandy Farm Lane.
- Reaching the black gates of Sandy Farm turn right over cattle grid. ( Alternate route: For those with the time to spare carrying straight on for approx. 15 minutes at this point will take you to the lovely coastal village of Dunwich, with the option of mid-walk refreshment at The Ship at Dunwich.)
- Meet Westleton Road and cross over heading toward, and then past, Mount Pleasant farm.
- At crossroads of paths turn right. This section of the walk lasts approx. 20 minutes. You will pass through two gates eventually meeting a small road.
- Cross over road onto path opposite.
- At end of path walk 300yds along road until the road bends left. At this point take the track to the right.
- After approx. 10 minutes take footpath on the left through kissing gate. After a few minutes walking along a straight path there is a short steep climb. Pass through kissing gate and follow path until it meets up with the road back down into the village.
- The final part of the walk is a short stretch of road walking. As road forks turn right.
- At the end of this road you return to the village main street. Turn left back towards The Westleton Crown
Pub walk by Places&Faces
Download a copy of the Circular Walk map